Thursday, November 2, 2017

Reading Notes: Cherokee Myths, Part A

The Rabbit Goes Duck Hunting

This week I didn't have time to do the Part A section of the reading before the due date so I decided to go back and read it for the extra credit reading. 

As I have mentioned in the past in my blogs, I truly enjoy a good trickster story so this one grabbed my attention for taking notes. What I really enjoyed about this was the confidence of the Rabbit. I think that in writing a good trickster story you must have the trickster be the most confident character until possibly the end if he is shown up. I know this has to do with the story but I think that strong defined characters is a something that I could focus on in my writing. I believe that the tone of a story can be set through the actions and words of characters. A good example of this is  when the rabbit says "Just watch me". I find that this simple but definite word choice sets the story. 

Another aspect that I enjoyed in this story was the emphasis on certain words through spacing and italics. I think that the song the rabbit sings is made crucial in the aspect that it is separated from the rest of the text and put into italics. This is a small thing to notice but as a writer the way you format the text can truly manipulate the reader into focusing on what you write. 

When thinking about how I can take this story and possibly write my own version  and add these aspects which I felt truly made the writing better, I think that I should write it with humans. I was thinking about having two children try to catch a duck but some how one of the kids tricks the other. I would like to include something along the lines of the song though as well which I'm not sure how I would incorporate. 


I included this picture because in the Trix commercials the rabbit is trying to trick humans into giving him the cereal. I got this image from Flickr. 




Bibliography:

 Myths of the Cherokee by James Mooney (1900).

The specific story I wrote about can be seen in the link above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment