Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Reading Notes: Cherokee Myths, Part B

The Bullfrog Lover


What I like about this story is the spacing out of the dramatic parts. To make a point of emphasis it would set it by itself which I found to be interesting. I have tried to do this a little bit in my stories but this seems to be a very good way to do it being that. I also liked how this story had such an emphasis on the ending. I thought that this made the point of climax a lot stronger which I could use because sometimes I rush my endings but this had the perfect amount of detail which made the ending crucial.   I think that one thing that I would like to do is have a story like this where I have children be scared of some type of ghost instead of a witch. At the beginning of this class I considered doing horror stories so this could be a good one to model off of. I also don't know how I could have some type of metamorphosis but I really like the idea of this. I was thinking maybe have the ghost turn out to be some type of animal they know kind of like the tadpole guy. Overall I wasn't too impressed with the cherokee stories I read so this is the only one I felt I could write about and will maybe not even use this story as my basing. 

A picture of a bullfrog from Wikimedia Commons.


Bibliography:

 Myths of the Cherokee by James Mooney (1900).

The link to the specific story is above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment