Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Reading Notes: English Fairy Tales, Part B

Mr. Miacca

One of the aspects that I feel I can take from this story and apply to my own story telling is foreshadowing. What I liked about the way this story sets the events is by having the first paragraph describe Tommy. This paragraph is crucial to the story by letting it be known that Tommy couldn't resist getting into trouble and disobeying. When analyzing this as a writer it is perfect in the sense that not only do we get an idea of the character but we also can start to predict the future of the story. I think that in my own writing that it would be important for me to learn how to set up an early part of the story that can foreshadow the later events. This is a great example of how to do so and as a writer I think I could match this especially in terms of trickster stories.

Another aspect of the story in which I feel I could take away to make my writing better is the use of slang in dialogue. When Mrs. Miacca says 'What d'ye want, my dear?' I think it gives a better illustration of what kind of person she is. I think that I should try to imagine how I think my characters would talk and try to match it. This allows the reader to feel more connected to the character in my opinion.

When thinking about how I could try and base a story off of this one, I was thinking about maybe trying to mask it off of the movie IT. I think that it could be a fun version of the story plus a more modern approach since the movie just came out. This is just an idea but I think it could be fun to make this a trickster story mixed with a horror story. 

This is a picture of Pennywise from the movie IT. I found this image on Wikimedia Commons.


Bibliography:

 English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1890).

The link to the specific story can be seen at the top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment