Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Reading Notes: Part B, Homer's Odyssey, The Sirens, Scylla, and Charybdis

What I liked most about this story was the characters. I felt like I could redesign them or make them characters of my own in a story I would write. When I went to Vegas there were these giant pool parties in which people are dancing wildly and listening to these sweet sounding electronic songs. I was thinking what if I created a story using a character like the Sirens (which could be the music at these type of clubs) and it drags them to a giant monster in the pool like Scylla and Charybdis. As I've said in past posts I want to modernize most of the stories I write so I feel like these characters would be a perfect disaster story in modern times. I could possibly write out descriptive lyrics for a song like the Siren's. I would also be able to change the ending to be more disastrous than them escaping and what not. 

As I mentioned in Part A of my reading notes, I love the description that is provided in these stories. I think to truly capture the intensity of the beautiful sound though it could have been described a tad better which I would do. I was thinking maybe I could describe the drains to be like Charybdis sucking you into them as some type of horror story. I would describe actions of the terror through similes just as Homer did in the case of these monster's attacks. I think I would also make the main character of the story have a little more personal relationship described so that way I could really capture the harshness in losing members to the monsters. 

Overall these characters were easily relatable to me and I feel that I could truly expand on them in a modernized way to create an adventure/horror story. 

This is a picture of Scylla & Charybdis versus Brittain which I chose because it is different like how I would like to tell the story. I found it on Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography: 

Homer's Odyssey, translated by Tony Kline into English (2004)


No comments:

Post a Comment