Monday, September 18, 2017

Reading Notes: Santal Folklore, Part B

The Jackal and the Crocodiles

In terms of admiring the writing properties of the story, I think the most admirable aspect of this story is the introduction. You think that the boy who is having his books stolen would be a main character, but really he was just an introduction device of the jackal. This makes me think maybe in my stories I could write a fable like this where there are side characters for the use of introduction only. I was thinking maybe I could tell a story involving people but instead of learning to read and write they learn to use technology. This would allow for a new twist with modernization. I also would consider making the baby crocodile persona's a bit more defensive and/or smarter to give the jackal a harder time. I could maybe even do a spin off the boy himself and have him watching what is going on and trying to intervene. I also would enjoy possibly changing the ending to be where the jackal would outsmart the crocodile once again because I kind of feel like that was the idea behind what the old man said of the jackal being witty. I also think the story could have had a better climax moment rather than the crocodile just eating him so casually. If anything this story stuck out to me as to how under written it was and for me to have an example of places where I feel details could have made the plot better in itself. One thing I did like though was the repetition of what was being said because it added a simpleness that was entertaining to read. I did like the way this story flowed as well which comes from its simpleness. Although I would add more description and emotion, I like how it flowed from the boy to the jackal to the crocodile and would try to keep that simplicity in my story.

This is a picture of a live jackal from Wikimedia Commons.


Bibliography:

Folklore of the Santal Parganas by Cecil Henry Bompas (1909). The specific link to this story is above.

No comments:

Post a Comment