Monday, September 18, 2017

Wikipedia Trails: From Jackal to Snake.

Jackal

After this weeks reading, I realized I wasn't completely sure what a Jackal was so I thought that would be the start of my Wikipedia trail. I learned that the jackal is an omnivore that belongs in the same family as domestic dogs and wolves. I also learned that they have long legs and feet adapted for traveling long distances. I also learned they have canine teeth like reptiles which brought me to that page since I took a herpetology course this brought me to the reptiles page.

Reptile

Although I know a fair share about reptiles from being a Biology major and having taken a herpetology course, I decided to let my curiosity head here. I personally am not the biggest fan of reptiles but they do interest me. I learned that reptiles date back 312 million years ago to the Carboniferous period. I also learned that many people feel that birds should be categorized as reptiles as well.

Amphisbaenia

I saw this on the Reptile page as Worm lizards and the name itself grabbed my curiosity. They are described to be more like worms than they are snakes (which is what I was wondering how they would be separated from snakes themselves). However after the reading I learned they are classified more as lizards because of their phylogeny. One thing that separates them from snakes is their lung system.

This is a picture of a Worm lizard provided by Wikimedia Commons


Snakes

Even though I know what snakes were I thought I might as well see what Wikipedia had to say about the creatures I am terrified of. I learned that snakes have been found on every continent except Antartica and they have even been found as high as the Himalayan Mountains. I also learned that there is a process called parthenogenesis where some snakes can even reproduce asexually. As much as I hate snakes this page was somewhat informative for something I have just studied.

No comments:

Post a Comment